Friday, June 21, 2013

I'm Getting Old

I will be turning 35 next week. Although most days I still feel like I'm a wide-eyed, surly teenager, every once in awhile something comes along and bops me up-side the head to remind me....not so much.

Today, my baby sister posted on Facebook about an album she has been looking forward to for quite awhile. First, seeing as she's turning 30 this year, I'm pretty sure she would not be happy I called her that. But anywho. Second, I have no idea who the band is. Not even an inkling. And no, I'm not going to give you the name because most of you probably know them and I would end up feeling even worse. Call me selfish but I have to draw the line somewhere.

Once upon a time, she was the one listening to Ace of Base and N'Sync and I was the one desperately trying to mold her young mind into some semblance of someone with decent taste in music. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a music snob. As a matter of fact, I have several friends who are and it drives me absolutely bonkers. I've always felt like music is meant to be something to everybody. Doesn't matter what it sounds like or if it even makes sense. Doesn't matter if you don't like it or if it gives you a migraine. All that matters is that it serves its' purpose...to make you feel. That to me is the definition of music. It rips emotions out of their hiding places in your soul and makes you face them. My favorite quote and one I hope to get inked on my body someday was said by Victor Hugo: "Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent".

But these days? I find our roles have reversed. Much like the comment I made on Wednesday's post about losing my hold on technology, I find I've lost my touch when it comes to discovering new music to love. Sad but very very true. I still get excited about going to see my favorite bands but they are bands I've been seeing since my college days. Only a select few have gotten past what seems to be an aging filter. Thanks to Coachella basically. I've gone several years in a row and that seems to be the only thing saving me from sitting in a rocking chair and yelling about the good old days.

So, I've made a decision. I'm not willing to give up the fight. I've spent my life immersed in music and I used to dream of being a talent scout. I USED to have a knack for picking the band that would be the next big thing. And I'm done with using the words "used to". I've seen Summer To-Do Lists around the blogs lately and although I don't know that I'll take the time to sit down and write one, that is now on the top of my imaginary list. I will jump into the pool again. And I will start finding those artists that speak to me the way this one album has been speaking to my sister. And this time around? It will be fun to share the experience with her instead of feeling like I have to bash her over the head if I hear "I Saw the Sign" one more time.

For now though, I'll leave you with my favorite band of all time singing my favorite song. It's simple but catchy. It explains my philosophy so well and I think it makes it pretty clear why I live in California these days. Life is too short not to just sway to the music and have fun.

Thanks for listening!



No comments:

Post a Comment