Thursday, June 20, 2013

Drugstore Days Are Here Again

Before I begin the actual post, let me begin by saying that all of my very few readers know that I have never been committed to this blog and the posts have been all over the map. Moving forward, I am fully committed (*fingers crossed) but the blog will probably remain all over the place for awhile. I'm not sure of my place in this big bad blogosphere yet and until I am, I will continue to write what inspires me each day or what has me tied up in knots thinking way too much. I hope you will stick it out with me.

I fully honor my beauty product addiction. I'm not ashamed. It helps that ever since I was allowed my first lip gloss at 16 (yes my parents had some major rules), I have often shopped at drugstores for my products. I found myself inspired to write this post after reading another blog yesterday that was basically an homage to her shock and awe when she discovered a drugstore product she adored. I have several friends who are make-up snobs and there is nothing wrong with that. We all make our own rules and no one can dictate that. BUT, I am here to tell you that if you know what you are doing and know what to look for, you can shop solely at the drugstore if you want to. Whether it's all you can afford or just what you like, it is very very possible.

I have worked as a manager for Prescriptives and the Skincare and Fragrance Manager at the flagship Sephora store in Hollywood. During those times, I swooned at all of the gorgeous products that otherwise I could not have found a dime in my pocket for. I had a lovely discount and was also lucky in that reps who were introducing new products would often give the employees a full size product in order to test at home. Of course that was basically so we knew what we were selling. It was a necessity but a very appreciated necessity for me. Other than that time in my life, I can often be found slowing crawling aisle after aisle in my local drugstore. J has had to send out an APB for me a couple of times. Ha! I kid but not really. So I'm going to show you a few of my recent discoveries and give you a full review. Here is the rather lovely iPhone picture (that's sarcasm in case you didn't realize):



All items were purchased at my local CVS. It is the most convenient drugstore to my house but barring the BB Cream on the left, all other items should be available where you like to shop. I'll discuss in the order which I use them.


  1. Sebamed Liquid Face & Body Wash - The size you see in the picture is the sample size they have at CVS for $0.99 right now. I have bought several. When looking for new face products, I typically use them at least two weeks in a row. And I never change more than one item at a time. For instance, if I need a new moisturizer, I keep my face was the same while testing. Anyways, on to this product. I love it. There is nothing fancy about it. The smell is light but pleasing, almost nonexistent. It suds up just enough so my skin feels clean but not too much to dry me out. And it removes my make-up easily. The main marketing point of this brand is that it restores the pH balance to your skin. Basically the natural acidic level of your skin. And as weird as it sounds, it feels like it actual does that. My skin feels "normal" for lack of a better word. No feelings of tightness, no feelings of gunk left on my skin. Just the feeling  of being right in my own skin. I do have some breakout issues with my skin and so far this is helping rather than harming. I will keep you posted on that though. Definitely recommend trying it.
  2. Sebamed Moisturizing Body Lotion - As you can tell by the names of the products, Sebamed is meant to be used on ALL of your skin. I have only been using it on my face because I have the small sample size but once I buy the full size version, I will review how they do on the rest of my body. I would describe this moisturizer as having all of the same positives as above. It feels so good on my skin and I again definitely recommend trying this product. The only negative is that it is very light. That is fine for me during the summer but traditionally I need something thicker during the winter. But who knows? Once my pH is balanced, I might find this is all I need. Remind me to do an update in the winter. I have the memory of a 70-year old.
  3. CVS Renewing BB Cream (Light/Medium) - This is a brand new product so this is a tentative review that will probably need to be revised or confirmed in a few weeks. I love that it has a built in SPF 15 sunscreen and it definitely moisturizes my skin. I never look dried out with it. The coverage is fantastic for the summer and I think it will probably work in the winter too. I love how my skin looks with this on. That being said, there are a few drawbacks. The consistency is a little thick. Almost like a moisturizer. But it soaks in quickly and does not feel heavy during the day. And the color is slightly off for my skin tone. But again, it seems to soak in quickly and shift to work with my coloring. Right now, it is a product I am very excited about and think others should try. Especially since it's around $10 for that large 3 oz. size. Typical BB Creams are a few dollars more for at least 1/2 the size. Just be aware of the issues above.
  4. Wet n' Wild Eyeshadow Palette (Comfort Zone 738) - I can not say enough about these eye shadows. I actually read a blog a few months back that recommended them so I had to give it a try. The feel is fantastic and the pigment is strong. They look great when I apply them and continue to look great until I wash my face. I only wish it had more brushes in it but that's what my make-up brushes are for right? I will definitely be trying more especially since this is only $4.99 for eight shadows. And they even come out with limited edition palettes.
  5. Wet n' Wild Idol Eyes Creme Shadow Pencil (Envy 132) - I haven't used this for anything other than lining my eyes yet but it seems to be a keeper. Again, the pigment is amazing and it stays put. It also goes on smooth, no pulling of my eye area. Which is good. At almost 35, I can't cause anymore wrinkles! I look forward to buying more fun and bright colors.
  6. Wet n' Wild Mega Impact Mascara (Very Black) - This is the only one some might disagree with me on. I love the coverage and feel it really adds volume and length to my eyelashes. And the color is definitely very black. But I'm not an eyelash freak like a lot of my make-up artist friends. I wear falsies once a year if that. The only thing I have noticed is that it leaves a little "gunk" behind after I wash my face. But please note, I have chronic dry eye and a lot of things do this to me.
And there you have it, my recent favorites from the drugstore. Please let me know if you have any questions or can recommend any other products. I love to get lost in my CVS.

Thanks for listening!

No comments:

Post a Comment