Monday, February 13, 2012

My Opinion Monday-Grammy Awards Edition

MY OPINION MONDAY: Grammy Awards 2012
First, let me just say that one of my favorite indulgences this winter is Hot Cocoa w/Peppermint Schnapps. As I sit here on a crazy windy and chilly Monday evening, I find it the perfect complement to cozying up for a night of talking to my blogger buddies. Anywhoo, on to the point of tonight's ramblings!
If you know me then you know how much I live, breathe and adore music. That's why this is the only awards show I watch. And I really loved it this year to the point that I actually watched the entire thing from start to finish, no fast forwarding. It felt like the Grammy Awards were more focused on the history of the music industry and the legacy of the past rather than the typical pop-centric fluff that is all over the place and a little hard to watch sometimes. Now, please understand. I am not a person and do not appreciate people that over analyze music and belittle everyone in the industry who doesn't meet their holier-than-though standards. I enjoy Katy Perry, Britney Spears, Lady Gaga, etc. and believe with all of my hear that music is meant to be felt to the tips of our toes and no one has a right to judge what artist does that for each of us. But last night just felt special in the shadow of the passing of Ms. Whitney Houston.

My Faves:

  • LL Cool J's beginning prayer and remark that "This night is about something truly universal and healing. Music."
  • Bruno Mars' performance
  • Cosmopolitan commercial w/Bohemian Rhapsody
  • Foo Fighters rocked so hard. I swear that is my theme song this year.
  • Maroon 5/Foster the People/Beach Boys Reunion. Pretty much had me grinning the entire time.
  • Taylor Swift. I know a lot of people don't agree but I find her refreshing and love watching her perform.
  • Duh, the tribute to Glenn Campbell
  • And I swear I almost fainted when Sir Paul McCartney, Bruce Springsteen, Dave Grohl and Jeff Beck brought the house down with a guitar battle.
  • Don't think I forgot, the queen of the evening ADELE. She is going to continue to take over the world!
My Yucks:
  • Jason Aldean and Kelly Clarkson duet. I don't know Jason Aldean's music all that well but he seemed to have a great voice and Kelly Clarkson is my girl. But it just didn't work and the mic issues only made it worse.
  • Nikki Minaj. I am all for a crazy show and pushing boundaries. I wasn't offended as a lapsed Catholic but I was offended as a music lover. It felt like a blatant and poorly executed ripoff of several women who have come before her.
  • Almost fell asleep listening to Fergie and Mark Anthony present their award. Yawn!
Can you believe I only really had two yucks?! Overall the evening was a nice way to end the weekend.

Hope your week rocks!

No comments:

Post a Comment